It's My Turn in the Shed

I'm working on a project. It's nothing to do with engines or motorsport. I've found some really cool office renovation ideas on pinterest, so I've decided I'm capable, and have started to do some building. I've done all my research, drawn up my plans, sourced my materials and I'm ready to start.

Into the shed walks hubby. Now those girls who have been here, know exactly where I'm going with this story.

"What are you making in my shed?" is the first casual question. My confidence in my own abilities immediately drop by 5% as I watch husband's confused face while I describe my furniture recycling project.

And then come the questions ...
Have you thought about ...? What tools are you using for ...? Why are you doing it like that? With each question my confidence drop another 5%, until hubby is doing the project for me and I get to stick the felt feet protectors on the bottom when it's finished. It doesn't look exactly how I had planned, but hubby is pleased with the result.

How did that happen? I was so confident in the beginning? I've used all these tools before. But with a couple of well worded questions, I've turned back into the little girl playing in daddies workshop. How many times have you worked on a project in the shed while he's away or at work, just so you don't have to deal with the "here, let me show you the right way..."

Is it his fault for being so domineering? or is it mine for not standing up for myself?

I can only speak for myself when I say, if you believe in your project and your own abilities, then stand tall and be ready to make mistakes. Take the advice as it is given, because he's probably just trying to prevent you from getting hurt.

Don't be afraid to do it YOUR way. After all, it's YOUR project. And if you mess it up, it's still YOUR project.

AND... don't forget to put all "his" tools back where you got them and clean up "his" shed when you've finished.
It's My Turn in the Shed It's My Turn in the Shed Reviewed by Anonymous on 08:56 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.